CarolD

About Carol Dominy

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Carol Dominy has created 478 blog entries.

Tiny Towel Tax

Main Street Courtyard, 1963-1977. In 1961, Bill Zacha, founder of the Mendocino Art Center and owner of this property, constructed a new building that housed on its lower floor the Mendocino Laundromat, seen here on the right. The Laundromat operated until 1977, when water shortages caused it to close down. (Gift of Karen McGrath) August 14, 1967 - Mendocino Laundromat was the scene of [...]

By |2022-12-04T10:14:52-08:00August 14, 2022|

Thompson School

Boyle's Camp on Big River, 1912 - 1930. (Gift of Ronnie James) August 13, 1917 - The Thompson School opened with Miss Hazel Bowman as the first teacher. This school was named for Henry Thompson and was located on his ranch on Little Lake Road, east of the Mendocino Woodlands. Mr. Thompson built the original schoolhouse near his home to provide a school for [...]

By |2022-12-04T10:25:24-08:00August 13, 2022|

Emil Piccolotti

On this day in Mendocino history… The Piccolotti children, c. 1935. Back row, left to right: Fred, Albert, George. Front row: Henry, Emil, Louis with baby Alice in front of Henry. August 10, 1946 - Emil Piccolotti died at the Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in Denver, Colorado at the age of 20. He had enlisted in the United States Army in January 1945, and at [...]

By |2022-12-04T11:11:49-08:00August 10, 2022|

Kelley House Pond – THEN and NOW

THEN: Looking west towards the Kelley House pond, April 1975. Homer Drinkwater operated a market in the building in the background from 1947 to 1974. In April 1975, Robert Peterson, founder of the Jack in the Box fast-food chain and owner of the Mendocino Hotel, presented the deed to the Kelley House property to Mendocino Historical Research, Inc. (later, the Kelley House Museum), for its restoration [...]

By |2022-12-04T11:37:49-08:00August 8, 2022|

First Tractor in the Big River Woods

Photograph of logs being hauled to a landing by a Holt tractor. Two men are seated on the tractor. August 7, 1921 - The first tractor ordered for use in logging the Big River woods fell through the northern end of Big River Bridge, landing on the beach and burying its nose in the sand. The Beacon reported that, “The driver of the machine [...]

By |2022-12-04T11:52:32-08:00August 7, 2022|

36th Annual Arts & Crafts Fair

Musicians play at Mendocino Art Fair on Heider Field, August 1995. (Gift of the photographer, Dave A. Belew) August 5, 1995 - The 36th annual Arts & Crafts Fair opened on Heider Field. The annual fundraising event supports the operational costs of the non-profit Mendocino Art Center, and 1995 was the second year the fair had been held on Heider Field. More than 90 [...]

By |2022-12-04T11:59:08-08:00August 5, 2022|

Louie Larsen

Louie Larsen at Big River Flat, 1907 - 1913. Behind Louie is the first Big River Maru, a steam-powered river boat that guided rafts of logs to the mill. Four water tanks can be seen on the bluffs. They were the water supply for the mill’s fire suppression system and had a combined capacity of 62,000 gallons, filled by gravity from creek supply. July [...]

By |2022-12-04T12:29:29-08:00July 30, 2022|

Phil Gorman

Railroad Log Dump on Big River. The log dump went into operation in 1901 and was last used in 1936. Logs that were brought in by the train were dumped into the water. The newly floating logs were contained by a log boom and were moved down the river to the mill. (Gift of Emery Escola) July 29, 1922 - Phil Gorman was killed [...]

By |2022-12-04T13:02:46-08:00July 29, 2022|

Beth Milliken Chambers

A family gathering at Sadie Blosser's home in Oakland, California, for Lizzie Milliken's 80th birthday, 1937. (Gift of Catherine G. Blosser) Back row L - R: Eva (Milliken) Rice, Elmer Rice, Lizzie Milliken, Faith (Milliken) Henderson, Alden Rice, Arthur Rice, Inez (Milliken) Philbrick, John Avery Blosser. Front row: Ella Rice, Eva Lee Rice, Dorothy Blosser, Sadie (Milliken) Blosser, Helen, Beth (Milliken) Chambers. July 27, [...]

By |2022-12-08T11:48:08-08:00July 27, 2022|

Firemen’s Ball

July 4th picnic celebration at Joshua Grindle Park, 1914. Note the wide planks of the platform. July 24, 1915 - The Mendocino Fire Department held a benefit dance on the open-air platform at Grindle Park, “the proceeds to be used for the purchase of fire fighting apparatus.” Fire Chief J. S. Chalmers was in charge of the arrangements. L. R. Gladden, superintendent of the [...]

By |2022-12-08T11:14:52-08:00July 24, 2022|
Go to Top